Welcome to my twelfth neighborhood dispatch. Today’s update: 6E Meeting, Major New Development Alert and Meeting, Events and Such, Year End Wrap-Up. Read on…
6E Commission and Committees
- ANC 6E Commission Meeting – Tuesday, January 4, 6:30 PM.
- No 6E01 committee business this month
Major New Development Alert and Meeting!
The owners of Heritage at Shaw –MidCity – have reached out to me about a new Planned Unit Development (PUD) project coming to our neighborhood. They plan to redevelop the four vacant, garden-style apartment buildings on the east side of the 1700 block of 8th St NW (between R and S Sts.) just north of the R Street entrance to the Shaw-Howard U. Metrorail station. The project will bring much needed housing, and affordable housing, plus other benefits to the neighborhood. I am co-hosting an online open house with the project representative on Thursday, January 6, from 6:30p to 8p. Details below. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this proposal.
1707 8th St NW Planned Unit Development (PUD) – VIRTUAL OPEN HOUSE:
- Thursday, January 6, 2022 starting at 6:30pm (repeating presentations at 6:30, 7, and 7:30pm)
- Zoom Link: https://bit.ly/3qjCpg6
- Project Website: https://www.1707-8th.com/
- MidCity Corporate Website: https://midcitydev.com
Events and Such
- There’s been some news about the potential redevelopment of Foster House at 801 Rhode Island Ave NW.
- It’s official, 6E01 is moving to Ward 2 on January 1!
- DPW announces possible delays in trash collection. Please allow for collection as late as 7p, and leave it out for an additional 24 hours if not collected on your usual collection day.
- Report Crime! Please report any crime you witness to 911 or text them at 50411.
- DC is offering an In-School Youth Leadership Program (paid internships!) for high school and college students
- Deadline for applications is January 14, 2022
- More information online
- DC Commission on Climate Change & Resiliency is hosting a Knowledge Forum and Exchange
- Saturday January 8, 10a to 4p
- RSVP online
- Replace your rat-eaten trash and recycling carts!
- Residents who receive municipal trash collection can have trash and recycling carts replaced if they’ve been destroyed by rats.
- Call 311 to request, or visit their website, initiate a new request, and select “Rat Replacement Containers”
- DPW’s Christmas Tree and Holiday Greenery Collection starts January 3.
Year-End Wrap Up
Thank you for allowing me to serve you over the past year. It’s been quite an interesting and challenging time for all of us. Some highlights for me include:
- Advocating for win-win solutions regarding the individuals encamped on the 1500 block of 10th St NW alongside the Seaton Elementary School fence.
- Supporting safer streets for pedestrians and cyclists, including the installation of a new All-Way Stop at 8th and R Sts NW which was recently completed.
- Hosting discussions about the new 9th Street Bike Lane coming in 2022.
- Recording of meeting, password is “DDOT9thStNW”
- Thwarting illegal dumping in a litter can at 8th and Q Sts NW by having the can removed.
- Bringing much-needed attention to car break-ins around 9th and French Streets NW.
- Developing this list of municipal resources for constituent services.
- Coordinating neighbors to help bring attention to the unmet needs of the Shaw community at a neighborhood walkthrough event.
- Removal of an abandoned car on the 1600 block of 9th St NW
- Outstanding issues include replacement of a residential parking permit sign at 7th and Q NW, and some traffic calming on the 1500 block of 10th St NW.
Please let me know if there are any additional opportunities to help in the coming year!
Thanks for reading.