Welcome to my eighth neighborhood dispatch. Today’s update: Meeting Alert! Police Chief at 6E Meeting, 9th Street Protected Bike Lane Meeting, Banneker High School Update
- ANC 6E Transportation Advisory Committee, Tuesday August 31, 6p
- DDOT Presentation on the 9th Street Protected Bike Lane. Wednesday, September 1, 7p (see below)
- ANC 6E Commission, Tuesday September 7, 6:30p – Special Guest Chief Contee
Police Chief at 6E Meeting, Tuesday September 7!
If you are concerned about public safety, crime, enforcement, traffic violence…. Please dial in to next week’s ANC meeting and share your thoughts with the chief. Feel free email me your thought and concerns as well and I’ll make sure they continue to be heard at this upcoming and future meetings.
9th Street Protected Bike Lane Meeting
As I noted in a separate email, DDOT has scheduled another meeting with the community on the 9th street protected bike lane project at my request. Many neighbors wanted another opportunity to learn about the project and provide feedback.
- Wednesday, Sept 1, 7p
- Meeting Link: https://rebrand.ly/9thStNW-NearFrenchSt
- Meeting Number: 2314 618 5681
- Meeting Password: September1!
- Dial-in Option (audio only): Call +1-202-860-2110. Access Code: 2314 618 5681. An Attendee ID is not required, press # to join.
Banneker High School Is Open!
Today was the first day of school at Banneker!
I had the honor of making some remarks at the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Banneker Academic High School on Saturday. I used the opportunity to share some of my perspectives as a recent newcomer to Shaw with the school community. I noted how welcoming Shaw has been to me, the pride that Shaw neighbors have in our community, and how well connected our neighborhood is to the transit and bicycle network. Finally, I noted how I hoped the spotlight of this new school might shine on Shaw a bit longer and draw attention to the outstanding opportunities we have to make Shaw a shining example of a safe, resilient, and sustainable community for all.
I have an email out to the DCPS and DPR partners about when the Shaw Dog Park might reopen. I’ll reach out when I know more.
Thanks for reading.