Greetings, Central Shaw Neighbors:
Welcome to my seventh neighborhood dispatch. Today’s update: Meeting Alert! Neighborhood Safety and Crime; Illegal Construction and Other Issues; Local Non-Profit Reminder
· ANC 6E Transportation Advisory Committee, August 29, 6p
· ANC 6E Commission, September 7, 6:30p – Special Guest Chief Contee
Neighborhood Safety and Crime
I continue to hear from neighbors with concerns about personal safety as well as property crimes. A recent homicide on the 700 block of O Street unsettled many neighbors, and a spate of car break-ins paired with an unhelpful police non-emergency operator sent one neighbor over the edge, understandably. I continue to echo neighbor requests for frequent, visible police presence outside of patrol cars, on bike and foot, in our community. Data shows that police presence reduces crime. The good news is that MPD is forming a new unit of cops on bikes and scooters. The bad news is they don’t have this unit assigned to Shaw yet.
I need your help!!! Here’s what you can do:
1) Report all crimes to 911. Skip 311 police non-emergency.
a. Send a text, and include photos: text number is “50411” as in “give the five-oh the four one one”
2) Attend the September ANC meeting and give your feedback directly to the police chief.
3) Consider other ways we can keep our neighborhood safe. Options include:
a. Creating a public safety committee within ANC 6E
b. Regular meetings or neighborhood safety walks within central Shaw
c. Organize a broader Shaw or mid-city east coalition of concerned neighbors
Illegal Construction and Other Issues
Neighbors — myself included — have spotted and reported a lot of illegal construction around the neighborhood recently. Please if you see or hear construction activity and do not see a permit posted on the front window, please report to me or directly to DCRA. The picture below shows the stop work order issued by DCRA after neighbors reported illegal construction of a pop-up on 10th St NW.
Permits are required for:
- New construction
- Construction of retaining walls, decks, fences, sheds, garages, and vaults
- Erection of signs and awnings
Please report to 311 other issues such as illegal dumping, overflowing trash cans and litter bins, other issues with mishandled trash cans, rat activity, unmowed lawns and tall grasses, abandoned vehicles. You can report via the web (http://311.dc.gov) or via twitter @311dcgov as well as calling 311. These reports generate data that can be used to increase the services we need to keep our neighborhood livable.
Local Non-Profit Reminder –
· Shaw Community Center provides services such as technology, arts education, literacy, vocational training and direct employment to 300 low-income, minority families recently. They have recently fixed their fundraising link.